Photo in Japan

This blog is a class project for my "Visual Anthropology" class; as such it is for educational purpose only. All photos posted here are taken by the blog author unless otherwise noted. If any problem with the posting of a particular photo is brought to my attention, I will earnestly reviwe the problem and remove the photo if necessary.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Religion in Japan



Today's topic is Religion in Japan. We cannot explain easily about religion in Japan. I of course know that my relision is Buddhism. I'm sometimes fascinated a vague power from Buddhism symbol. But actually, I cannot believe it sincerely. I just follow Buddhism rules or ways only a time when something important is happened, for example, a marriage or a funeral. Thus I have no relision(mu-syukyo無宗教). This situation is very vague and complicated. It is hard to explain my religion. So I'd like to introduce my fascinated symbols.








First picture is about Takuhatsu(托鉢). It is one of a religious austerities. Ascetics should have spend lives with at least money during a religious austerities to discard greed. So they need to gain money from devotees. You can see these people nearby temples. I met him at Todaizi(東大寺). I often see a person on sizyo-ohashi(四条大橋) where is in front of a station of gion-sizyo(祇園四条).




Second picture is about people who cover with smoke. It was said thet its custom was came from zukou(塗香). Zukou meant that religious austerities and devotees were put on incense stick which was included water to remove wicked heart from their bodys. Today we rub its smoke into our heads. It means that we desire to be intelligent. Sometimes old people rub its into their knee or waist. They believe that it can remove pain or desease.




If you have interested in religious austerities, you can look some pictures. The pages are all English. http://www.tenzo.net/english/eng-home.htm




1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.